Wednesday, April 21, 2010

observation & improvisation


I am currently showing 17 prints & drawings at Meritage a local fine restaurant on Milwaukee's west side. 15 of those are pictured above and have not been shown before. The other two are from the begining of my current artistic endeavour that began off the side of my bicycle in 2008. This particular presentation is a benchmark for me, in that, it has exposed a notion of the work occupying a space between memory and location. Roughly 1/3 of the work in this grouping is from life and the rest, including all the monotypes, are invented or in a sense improvised. In either case, there is a grammar that has been developed that seems to move freely between these two polarized modes....one being immersed in the landscape, trying to make some reasonable sense of light, space, atmosphere and the ever present flux of time....the other working in the studio inventing, recalling past experience, as well as, referencing my own personal canon or artists from history.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could see your work in the flesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you could too....if you know of any good show opportunities out your way never hesitate to say so. I am always looking to broaden the audience.

    ReplyDelete